17 April 2011

hey!

I posted! now I can go back to ignoring the existence of this blog.
No but seriously, I'm finding I would actually like to write more -- and more often -- than I do, but with so much to see and do and take in all around me, it's kinda hard to make time for it.
Let's try headline-style, in no particular order:
- Got the fence around the garden at the school put up. 6' high chain link (kenyan style, i.e. no twists) that should keep the sheep, chickens, kids, and anything else roaming the streets of Tuwani out of the garden in-process.
- Went to my friend Elvis's church and house today to visit. Turns out my other friend David (both of them work here at Karibuni Lodge) lives across the road from him, and they both go to that church. So I got to visit two friends in one day, which meant two Kenyan meals w/in an hour of each other. Was I full?
- I finished working on the truck. Final count, I fixed: some wiring, all fuses, brakes, power steering, new battery, new fuel hoses, new fuel filter & water trap, rebuilt starter, rebuilt gearshifter, new head bolt, new clutch line, more fluids than the EPA allows in the East river in a decade, new front propshaft for the 4WD, and maybe one or two other minor items I forgot. In a lovely twist of fate, as I delivered the truck back to Peter's house, it caught fire (again) 1/4mi from his compound. Cause was a shorted wire, one I had nothing to do with, but it was very large and unfused, and so rapidly transformed into a 6' toaster element running across the engine compartment. Fortunately my ever-lifesaving Leatherman was on my belt so I could hastily cut the battery ground cable before the flames and hollywood stuff got going. Yeesh.
- Mt Elgon is the most beautiful mountain in the entire world. I have decided this.

Coming in (hopefully near) future posts:
- Report on the Bible School kickoff week
- Thoughts on "Free" and how it interacts with the mentality we're REALLY beginning to see in many people here
- Why Inductive Bible Study rocks, from a noob
- Observations about the strikingly staggered advance of technological revolution here (or, 'Why everyone in Kenya has a cell phone and the desert of West Pokat has better service than Berkshire county')
- Observations about the Kenyan approach to English and how it parallels their approach to a lot of other stuff
- A description of Kitale, Tuwani, Milimani, Karibuni Lodge, Mt Elgon, and any other place that's part of our life here.

Yeah, right. I'm toootally never going to write all those. But at least you know what you can ask me about if you want me to talk about something I've already given some thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment